Shooting Ranges can Reduce Anxiety and Relieve Stress
Table of Contents:
Shooting ranges create an environment where people can feel comfortable being vulnerable by allowing them to take their shots. They also offer mental therapy, while speaking with someone else helps. Moreover, stress and anxiety can be reduced with active shooting rather than solving many puzzles or completing tests in isolation.
How shooting ranges can be a place of mental relief
There are many different shooting ranges, from small indoor ones to large outdoor ranges. They all have one thing in common: they provide a place for people to practice their shooting skills safely.
Shooting at the shooting range is a great way to relieve stress and anxiety with benefits. It requires focus and concentration, which can help take your mind off whatever is troubling you. And even if you don't hit the bullseye every time, the satisfaction of seeing your shots improve over time is a reward in itself.
So if you're looking for a way to lower your stress levels, a shooting range may be just what you need.
If you have never been to a shooting range before, we suggest finding a family member or friend that has for your first time. That way you won't be on your own learning the ropes and proper etiquette while shooting. You will also need to sign a waiver and complete safety training in order to attend a shooting range.
If you're looking on how you can be best prepared in terms of what to bring to a shooting range, we have you covered.
Benefits of shooting ranges and their mental health effect
There are many benefits to shooting ranges, one of which is their positive effect on mental health. Studies have shown that shooting can lower anxiety and stress levels better than therapy.
This is likely because shooting requires focus and concentration, which takes the mind off whatever is causing stress or anxiety. Additionally, physically releasing a weapon can be therapeutic in itself. The endorphins that are released are proven to be the brain's natural pain reliever, according to Harvard Health Publishing.
If you are struggling with stress or anxiety, consider visiting a local shooting range. You may be surprised at how much it can help from a new hobby!
What to do at the shooting range
If you're someone who commonly visits the shooting range to relieve stress or anxiety, here are some tips to make the most of your experience:
- First and foremost, always obey the safety rules in place. This is for your safety and the safety of those around you. This can help prevent mistakes and injuries from happening.
- If you're a beginner, it's essential to start with a smaller caliber gun. You can move up to larger caliber guns as you get more comfortable. Find out what guns you can bring to a shooting range for your first time.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help from the staff or other shooters around you. Everyone was a beginner, and they are usually happy to help out if you ask.
- Take your time when shooting. There's no need to rush, and it'll help you stay focused and relaxed. Focus on your shooting stance, your trigger pull, your target, your breath and zone in.
- Once you're done shooting, take some time to clean your gun correctly before putting it away at home.
Discovering any new hobbies can always seem overwhelming at first. Remember that you're doing this for you and your mental health. Not everyone may like to shoot guns at the shooting range and that is alright. If you are someone that might like to give it a try or interested in purchasing your first gun, check out our resource guide!